HO scale EMD F40PH locomotive by Kato. DCC ready for your decoder.
- DCC ready for your decoder with 8 pin NMRA compliant DCC socket
- Sound friendly 1.1" (28mm) speaker opening
- Directional headlights
- Operating ditch lights
- Illuminated pre-printed numberboards
- Powerful five pole motor with dual brass flywheels
- All wheel electrical pickup with scale 42" blackened metal wheels
- Detail specific to Amtrak, including cab air conditioner, fan height, headlight arrangement, pilot, rear platform, and cab roof arrangement
Designed for use in Amtrak's inner-city lines, the F40PH series of locomotives was ordered as a replacement for the EMD SDP40F type, Amtrak's first series of locomotives built new for them since its inception in 1971. To support passenger service, the F40PH is equipped with a secondary electrical generator referred to as the head end generator (or HEP, for Head End Power). The need for constant constant frequency power means that these HEP units are constantly running at 900 rpm, resulting in the nickname "Screamers" for the units due to the sound.